Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Smart Growth Retains Young Talent

Our very own Nichole Strack was recently featured in the Hartford Courant's "FreshTalk" for her views on how Connecticut can improve its retention of young professionals:

"I live in Connecticut partly by choice, but mostly by coincidence.

I left Ohio to attend Trinity College in Hartford on a full scholarship. When I graduated, I faced two options. I could leave Connecticut and start fresh in Tampa, Fla., living for free with my favorite grandparent, or I could accept the job that I had been offered here.

I stayed.

I am now the voice of 1000 Friends of Connecticut, a coalition of smart growth advocates determined to curb sprawling development and improve our quality of life. One of the first conferences I attended in my new role posed a way to measure sustainability in Connecticut: How many 15- to 25-year-olds want to stay in the state after graduating from high school or college?

Now, seven months have passed and I cannot help but wonder, "Why do I want to live here?"

...Read the full op-ed at the Courant's web site.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    I'm an architect, born in Hartford, raised 3 kids there, do most of my socializing with friends in the West End ...but don't live there myself (like you coincidence chose my place of residence - I'm currently living in Bristol renovating the home I grew up in) but choice COULD bring me back to Hartford...or take me farther away. Whatever my personal choice might end up being though, there's another wrinkle in my life that's not in yours (and not just because you're 3 decades younger than me!!) I happen to own a beautiful 5 family house in the West End, and through that I have come to know a great number of grad students, and young workers, professional & 'blue/service-collar' who have passed through Hartford over the course of the nearly 3 decades that I've owned the building. Only a very few have stayed - most of the others have "moved on" to Boston, NYC, or even the relatively bright lights of Burlington VT. I would love to be able to do more - as a landlord & native - to introduce/induce my tenants to stay here and enjoy the merits of Hartford. I'm ready and willing to commit time and energy to the task - but don't know where to begin! Any ideas???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Some really helpful information in there. Bookmarked. Excellent source.

      Delete
  2. One of the things that can cause a disparity in the average HVAC salary in Connecticut is the geographic placement of a person. http://techniciansalary.net/hvac-salary-in-connecticut/

    ReplyDelete