If the two-day session on Redesigning the Edgeless City didn't fit into your schedule, please see the resource materials at http://www.rpa.org/2009/04/redesigning-the-edgeless-city.html. The workshop's focus was planning performance-based solutions for sucessful urban places in a carbon-constrained world.
A highlight of day one was a discussion of the seven principles of sustainable community design.
- Conserve land and services within a 5 minute walk to transit.
- Provide diferent dwelling types in the same neighborhood, and even the same street.
- Dwellings should present a friendly face to the street.
- Car storage and services should be handled at the rear of dwelling units.
- Interconnect the street network.
- Make streets narrow and shade with rows of trees.
Day two will include a Capitol Region planning exercise.